HCLS is excited to have a new way to bring books and services into our community. The new mobile unit is primarily designed to bring preschool classes and learning resources to children of families who do not have easy access to the Library’s six branches. Classes and services will primarily be delivered to children, birth through three years of age, and their parents/caregivers from asset limited and income constrained families in communities that have also been directly affected by the pandemic.
- The vehicle will be outfitted with a collection of library materials in a variety of formats, including books, activity kits, and toys, as well as Chromebooks and mobile hotspots.
- It also functions as a mobile hotspot providing Internet access to the nearby community during each stop. HCLS staff will provide information on library classes and events and about community resources.
- When not visiting preschools and daycare facilities, the Pop-Up Library will visit festivals, events, and other gatherings throughout Howard County.
- Visit hclibrary.org/pop-up to see where the van will be and to request it for your neighborhood. You can find us at Words on the Street at Colorburst Park in Columbia on September 9 & 23.
- The mobile unit was funded by a Rise to the Challenge Grant from Howard County Government, Friends & Foundation of Howard County Library System, M&T Bank, PNC Foundation, and HoCo Balt Book Club.